Lemon Pound Cake (Tofu for extra protein) *Vegan
This recipe is light, moist & soft. It has around 1/2 the sugar content of most Lemon Pound cakes yet is still a treat. I usually prefer to use almond, oat or coconut flour; however most advised against this for the best texture.
*Loaf is still yummy without the glaze if you're avoiding excess sugar.
Recipe inspiration: Murielle Banakissa with modifidations
(I did Organic ingredients for all)
- 2 cups Organic all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 150g extra firm tofu (a little less than half a pack)
- 1/4 cup melted EV coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (you'll need either 3-4 small lemons or 2 large for recipe)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil loaf pan with coconut oil
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda to large bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Add almond milk, coconut sugar, tofu, coconut oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture into bowl of dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Don't over mix.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake 35-40 min, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Make glaze by combining ingredients in small bowl, stir until smooth
- Remove loaf from oven and cool
- Pour glaze over cake once cool and let it set/dry
- Garnish with lemon zest